Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Smooch Background Tutorial and another Heart of Lights

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great week.  It's crispy cold here in Ontario, cooler than normal, but we enjoyed sunshine today.        

I've had another 'play' with Designs by Ryn's beautiful Heart of Lights and Celtic Star Set.   Again the heart design is very unique as the 'wires' from the Christmas Lights have been drawn into a Celtic Heart. 

I've been asked frequently for instructions to create Smooch backgrounds so I've included a photo tutorial today.  



I embossed the Heart of Lights with black and blended Distress Inks around the image (Milled Lavendar, Shaded Lilac and Dusty Concord).  I used a black Distress Marker around the outside edge after cutting it out with the heart die (Nellies Multi Frames - MFD 022).   I colored the Celtic Heart of Lights with Smooch Inks using the little applicator and added Glossy Accents to create dimension.

The quote is from Impression Obsession (C3505 Miracle). 


Creating backgrounds using Smooch Ink:  

I used Grape Soda, Sugarberry & Pool Smooch Ink.  The bottles may look small, but they seem bottomless.  I've been using the same ones for 2 1/2 years except "Pool" which I've replaced as I use it the most.



I always use a non-stick craft mat under my work. (mine is well used and has spots from using over a rough surface, but it's still fine).    You will need Versamark ink, Smooch inks, Colorbox stylus with the black moldable tip and smooth white cardstock.   I use paper intended for Copic markers.  Baby wipes work well to clean up the applicator after you are done.

Cover the white cardstock with Versamark Ink direct from the pad.  This keeps your surface 'wet' to allow you to blend the inks as they dry quickly.


Start with your lightest colour, Grape Soda.  Shake the bottle well and add the ink using the applicator direct to the stylus.

You need about this much on your stylus.


Start adding to your paper by blending in circle motions.  I leave white spaces for the next color to 'grab'.


I added Sugarberry next.  This is the darkest but since Pool (blue) is an accent, I used it last.  I don't clean my applicator between colors.

 This is what my sheet looked like after adding the second color (Sugarberry).


This is what my background looked like after adding the third colour (Pool).   Smooch Inks have a beautiful sheen as it catches the light.     The colors are not showing true in this photo, it's much more purple. 


Next I stamped with one of the stars in Ryn's Celtic Star Set using Brilliance Platnium Planet Ink over the background.


Then I stamped the star over the background using Versa Magic Perfect Plumeria Chalk Ink.  And above is the finished background.  Certainly not traditional Christmas colors.

 

I stamped the quote direct to the background with black Stazon Ink.   After this was done, I wished I had embossed it so that it stands out more.  I added the heart, ribbon and mats.    

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I'll reply on the comment page.   I find that if I leave my email address on my blog, I get too much 'wierd' Spam.   I won't talk about what kind I've received.

If you get a chance, please stop by Miranda's and Eileen's Blog who are also on Ryn's Design Team.  They have beautiful blogs with lots of inspiration.  

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day !
Shirley

25 comments:

Sue said...

Great card Shirley and fab tutorial will have to have a go huggles hun xxxxxxxxx

Donna Ellis said...

INcredible tutorial, Shirley, and that goes without saying for the remarkably gorgeous card as well. I've pinned the tut. The colors are typical Shirley - brilliant, vibrant so lively! Thanks for a great card share (((hugs)))

Creations by Shirl said...

Hi Shirley~
I know I missed several of your postings, just being too busy in my craft room trying to catch up with projects galore... I always say I should start at least mid year when it comes to the Holidays but it never happens out that way....I'm trying to take at least an hour off this evening so I can play catch up with everyone that I missed in the past few days...LOL!
Any way love your card and fab tutorial...
Enjoy your lovely evening....

maria's knutselplezier said...

Thank you for the tutorial of the smooch ink ,wonderfull colours, and a very special card you made of it!!!

Greetings
Maria

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Shirly this looks so great. And thanks for the fantastic tutorial. So you can see how to made this beautiful card.
it is really wonderful.
My lovely greet and big hug
Marja

Miranda said...

Hi Shirley,
Love your celtic heart and that background is super! Great to see you have made a tutorial of it! Will give it a try.....in time......
warm greet and a fine weekend, Mirandaxxx

froebelsternchen said...

wonderful card and fabulous Tutorial! Thank you so much!

Karin said...

beautiful card, great background and thanks for the tutorial! Groetjes Karin

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Shirley, your tutorial was great! Your pics give a really clear idea of what you are doing. So neat to see your process with the Smooch inks! I love how you framed Heart of Lights! Great idea with adding glossy accents over the light bulbs for more dimension too :)

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Really beautiful art work!design, colors, background and stamp fits perfectly together.

Ellen Taylor said...

Fabulous card Shirley! The Celtic heart looks marvelous against the purple! thanks for the tutorial! Pinning this! Have a wonderful day my friend!
Hugs,
Ellen

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great result Shirley!!!!Lovely

greetings,Alie :-)

Saakje said...

Hi,Shirley
Beautifull cards and a very nice tutorial.
I use my smooch ink to few and will do it more.
The stamp celtic art from Ryn is beautifull and you made such a fantastic and nice card. Have a good weekend.
"groetjes" Saakje

Bonnie said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Shirley. You did a fantastic job on the tutorial and the card! This is a beautiful technique and an awesome card! Do you have a tripod for your camera. I haven't done many tutorials, but I found a tripod to be helpful.

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful card, love your background.

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Such a beautiful card Shirley and a great tutorial on how you've achived it. I will be having a go at this soon.

Sue x

HeARTworks said...

Beatifully layered background! ItS hard for me to make tutorials cause I forget to stop and take pictures! Patsy

craftystamper said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to have to give it a try sometime

Alda said...

Loved to see how you made the background. My mom has to bring her smooch inks the next time she comes over.
Thanks for the fantastic tutorial.
XOXO Alda

Nora MacPhail said...

Sensational! I like that cool mint green.

Miek said...

Yeah follower number 100!!! I just discovered your blog ! Love what i see and this is a great tutorial thank you so much.

Marn said...

Hi Shirley!
What a very good tutorial, and very informative! I really enjoyed reading that, thank you for taking the time to make and post all that! Really beautiful colours for the background! Also the card with the beautiful heart is so pretty! Really pretty and nicely done for sure! What a nice style and design! Thank you again!
Warm greetings, Marlene

Rika said...

Great effect, thanks for sharing!

Padhopper® said...

Greetings .. where do you get the little bottles of ink??

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

All over the place but I just learned they will be discontinued. Suggest you look on the Internet for a Webstore that has them in stock still. Great product !