Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pretty Poppies & a Celebration

Hello everyone !

I'm joining a celebration at Brenda's Blog - Floral Fantasies.   She is celebrating her fourth blogaversary and is fast approaching 4,000 followers... amazing !   Her celebration is a competition with prizes.  To me this is fun, never mind prizes, I'm looking forward to seeing her hit 4,000!  Brenda creates gorgeous cards, participates on numerous Design Teams and her blog is definitely a great place for inspiration.  

The challenge criteria is to create something based on inspiration from her blog.   I'm quite sure that Brenda likes flowers (thus her title "Floral Fantasies"), she uses lots of pretty flowers in her designs, and she has Poppies on her Blog Title, so I decided to do something with Poppies.   

I used Chocolate Baroque's Pretty Poppies set for most of the images.  Unfortunately this is one of those designs that just will not photograph properly grrrrrrrrrr, it's not as dark around the edges as this shows.....
.


I started by embossing the Poppy image on water colour paper using a Metallic mix powder.   Next I sprayed Dylusion inks, blotted off with another sheet of paper (set aside for another project).   I bleached the colour away from the image and painted with my Tombow markers.  It ends up with a slight Batik painting look.   

I stamped one of Chocolate Baroque's new clear edge stamps from Decorative Edges at the top with Mowed Grass DI and blended Peacock Feathers DI with TCW Harlequin stencil around the bottom half.   I added a little butterfly from a Cheery Lyn Die as a little finishing touch.   

Thanks for stopping by & have a great day,
Shirley 

28 comments:

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

This is so beautiful again Shirley.
Wonderful colors and beautiful poppies.
Lovely greet and hug
Marja

Anneke said...

I do love those colors, wow!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is stunning Shirley, I love the green and yellow background and the beautiful pink poppies against it.

Sue x

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

What an amazing color feast! An absolutly heavenly composition, love it most.
xox Anja

Creations by Shirl said...

Adorable Shirley, love the burst of colors!

Paula (PEP) said...

I love seeing your Tombow techniques. the way your die-cut butterfly's colour echoes the magenta colour of those poppies is delightful & your butterfly sitting on the flower really looks like he has ethereally transparent wings.
Paula (PEP)

Donna Ellis said...

Talk about amazing... Your green is incredible in this card! Your use of a variety of medium always makes me happy. I can just imagine your magic little fingers doing each necessary spritz, stamp, dab... to accomplish the Shirley Factor. Beautiful card, girl friend! hugs, your favorite groupie.

Darnell said...

Shirley, you've created another stunner! I feel a bit inadequate now that I know there is someone who has almost 4,000 followers after four years of blogging! Holy Toledo. I'm off to check her out and try not to hate her, LOL!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Marvellous background, beautiful colors, I really love this card!!

Greetings
Maria

Ellen Taylor said...

Jaw dropping gorgeous Shirley!!Have a fabulous day!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks ever so much for your kind comment. Wow, what imagination you have - your creations are stunning!

Gerrina said...

The grean and pink work beautifully together! Think Brenda will love this+ poppies are one of here fav´s flowers! Hugs, Gerrina

Barbara said...

Wow, this is stunning.....I love everything about it! Know what you mean about cards looking different when photographed. I can never quite capture the actual brightness of Dylusions inks and I'm constantly disappointed. My cards look so vivid in 'real life' but not on camera. Yours seem to have stayed very bright ;-) Anyway....this is an amazing card xx

brenda said...

You are so right that I love flowers Shirley and poppies are a particular favourite stemming back to my childhood.

As soon as I saw your lovely piece of work I wondered how you had added the colour to the flower so thank you for going through the process, I did wonder about bleaching the other day but wasn't sure if it would work Dylusions, so you know what I might be doing after work today.

The glimmer of yellow in the middle - must order that today and definitely need those edge stamps - gives the impression of sun filtering onto the poppy and is totally delightful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to join in my celebration.

B x

chrissie said...

Really beautiful Shirley. You have made the poppies look real against the wonderful background

Love Chrissie xx

Marn said...

Hi Shirley! This is a really beautiful card! Wow what pretty poppies!
I just love that great background too, really pretty green and looks terrific with the poppies! Very creative! Love the butterfly too! Well done!
Warm greetings, Marlene :)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Such vibrant colours Shirley! Love it....

have a nice day, Alie :-)

Gail said...

Beautiful card!
I haven't tried Dylusions, might have to go on the list!
Thanks for popping over to say HI!

Gibmiss said...

Hello Shirley
How are you....
Fabulous card... Love the poppy....
Hugs Sylvie xxx

Bärbel said...

Eine wunderschöne Karte in leuchtenden Farben, die Mohnblumen sind so herrlich anzusehen, toll!
Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

Bonnie said...

It's hard to imagine that this could be any more beautiful than the photo, Shirley! Good luck!

ALIX said...

Fantastic Shirley, I love those green colourz and the combination with pink. I think I'm gonna try to make a card like this one, if you don't mind?
Have a wonderful day,
Alix

Wendy said...

Wow!! So beautiful Shirley... I love the backgrounds that you create and your colouring is fab. Hugs, Wendy xx

Sophie said...

Wie wunderschön, ich liebe deine kraftvollen Farben...

Liebe Grüße xx

Janny Jager said...

Very colorful and beautiful card Shirley
Greetings Janny

Bianca said...

Wow beautiful !!!

greetings Bianca

Anonymous said...

gorgeous! so beautifully coloured and i love the pink/green/yellow together - very spring-like.

Ina G said...

Love your bright beautiful colours. That poppy just stands out amazingly. Love it.